Sunday, November 9, 2008

A little confession

I still think it's too good to believe that I've really preserved my fertility. And of course, officially it's not a guarantee, but with NYU's stats and with 28 eggs, my odds should ~95%. But so far, I'm glad I've done this, but I'm not really convinced that this is one less thing to worry about. I'll still have my post-retrieval consult with the doc, and maybe that's all I need. But while I can sit here and calculate statistics (NYU has a 60% pregnancy rate with frozen egg transfers for women under 38. Assume they defrost 9-10 eggs each time and I get 3 tries - that should be 94% overall) I still hear my biological clock ticking. Do i really have a 94% insurance policy? That's what the calculator says, but I don't feel that level of safety.

It's funny, I was at a party on Saturday night, and I met a lovely 35 year old women who I didn't previously know. Somehow the conversation turned to us being single in our 30's, and she started telling me about how she researched all about egg freezing and went to a seminar and everything. I was kinda stunned and looked at her and said "are you kidding?" - it was really trippy to have someone in a social setting evangelize egg freezing to me right after this whole adventure, when I hadn't said anything to let on that I had just done it. I let her talk and then said "9 days ago I was in surgery getting my eggs retrieved and frozen." Anyway, we then talked about Extend fertility (see this post) and she had had the same thoughts that I did. "I was really offended" she told me. Anyway, I told her to head over to NYU.

Which reminds me. My favorite nurse at NYU, Jennifer, was really awesome to me - helped me with needles, answered my endless questions, drew a big circle on my butt so I could give myself a shot ... I want to send her a gift. I think flowers are trite and who really cares .... so ... chocolate, right?

On another rambling point ... My boobs are huge right now. I don't have anything to fit them. It's PMS times 31 I guess. I've almost gone out and bought a new bra just to last me through this week.

1 comment:

Babydreams2011 said...

Hey there, I happened upon your blog and wanted you to know that when they thaw the eggs, it's generally in batches of about 4-6 and eggs freeze incredibly well as long as they are thawed according to how they are frozen, so your chances are higher since you will have "more tries" than 3! =)