Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 3

So I woke up way too early for a Sunday and went to NYU for my bloodwork and baseline ultrasound. The ultrasound wasn't so bad ... except the results have me a little worried.

So the point of this appointment was, now that I've been "suppressing" myself for 2 weeks, was to get the baseline - see what I look like suppressed, and then start pumping me up. My first injection of gonal-f is supposed to be tonight - and that's what makes all the follicles develop.

The ultrasound was supposed to show my ovaries completely at rest - nothing at all. But there was one little follicle .... that may mean something or not. Depends on how my bloodwork comes back - it has to show that I was in fact suppressed. Without hormones, why would my ovaries make a follicle? I'm playing a guessing-game here ... maybe it's just one left over from another cycle that hasn't disintegrated yet? I think that would be a good answer. I think a bad answer would be that it developed despite my taking suppression shots which would mean I wasn't suppressed enough. I don't know .... but I'm waiting for a call tonight to find out whether I have to cancel this cycle or whether we're still on.

Update: ok, a little searching around shows that this can happen, and the determining factor will be whether the follicle is currently active or inactive. If my estrogen comes back high, it will mean this is an active follicle and that's problematic because it will mess with the stimulation drugs I'm supposed to take. If estrogen comes back low, that will mean it's an inactive follicle and I can probably go ahead. At least that's what googling around tells me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI, a visible follicle doesn't mean an egg, they can't tell if there is an egg in there just by looking at your ovaries. Most normal women usually have empty follicle lying around.

Eggfreezer said...

Thanks. I am still slightly worried about it because I'm finding some people on boards who have RE's who won't do a cycle with a cyst, period, and also because my E2 was 32 which is both higher than it was when I had it tested on last CD3 and also higher than 30 which SOME sites say is the indicator of total suppression. But I trust my doctor (mostly) :) And I know I worry too much. Your comment is greatly appreciated - another source to help me not worry about it - thanks! :)