Friday, October 31, 2008

Retrieval Recap

I showed up to the center at 10am (as requested) for my 11am retrieval. I filled out another form and had to change into two gowns (one tied in the front, one in the back), socks, and a surgery cap. I was weighed (up nearly 10 lbs since I started - normal, just bloating I hope) and interviewed about the last time I ate, medical history, etc. I had to sign things like "Yeah, I know people die from anesthesia" and was told that retrieval only actually took 10 minutes.

I sat in a chair waiting to be called into the surgery room, and watched other women in recovery. They seemed fine, relaxed, sleepy. That was good - I would be in their position in less than an hour.

When it was my turn I had to take one of the gowns off and got into the surgery bed. My IV was hooked up and then we all waited around for the doctor. I think they gave me a general sedetaive or something at that point (the anesthesiologist injected my IV and I asked if that was what was going to knock me out and she said it was just to relax me). Finally the doc came in and at that point they lifted my thighs into these big, ummm ... thigh holders?.... and that had me completely on show for the room of nurses and doctors - far worse than simple stirrups, which doesn't bother me. Ugh. At that point I was happy at the thought of getting knocked out and not at all worried (even though I had been worried about the anesthesia - I wasn't now). The anesthesiologist told me she was administering it, and I recall telling her "wow - I feel that kicking in." I felt drunk and I tried to see if I could control keeping myself awake (just as a science expirement) . That's the last thing I remember in the surgery room.

Next thing I know I'm awake in the recovery room, and there are sharp stabbing pains in my lower intestines. I didn't start screaming, but definitely let the nurses know I was in a lot of pain. The first one said "that's because you had a lot of eggs." My retrieval also took 20 minutes instead of the average 10 minutes. The pain would come in waves, but when I wave hit it was really bad. When I tried to sit up I almost fell over. They quickly brought a regular ultrasound over to see if I had internal bleeding, but it looked good. They said my bladder was very full (from the IV), and that, along with the sheer size/swelling of my ovaries post-surgery was pushing substantially on my lower intestines. Somewhere around now is when they told me the number 31, which was shocking since I thought I only had ~20 follicles. They gave me something for pain through my IV and also Tylenol by mouth.

While we waited until I was ok enough to get up, they gave me some juice and graham crackers (standard recovery fare).

I finally did get up and try to use the bathroom, hoping that would help things. I'll spare the details, but it took me multiple tries and a long time. With that and with the pain meds, I was in much better shape. They kept asking if I was light headed or anything, which I wasn't. So they were able to discharge me. It was about 1 pm - only 30 minutes later than my ETA discharge of 12:30. Instructions - no tampons, baths, sex, advil/aspirin, douche, saunas, etc for 2 full weeks. Call immediately if I get any symptoms listed [...]

My mom was in the waiting room waiting for me - they had to make sure that I had an adult driving me home - and we left.

It's now the next morning ... Things still hurt - hurts to sit, hurts to walk, but not as much. Now I'm just waiting for the call to find out how many eggs were good/mature/frozen.

I'm also reading up on OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome - post egg retrieval, when there were lots of eggs, the ovaries can do things which essentially cause fluid to accumulate in the abdomen), which is a little scary. The fact that I'm under 35, have polycystic ovaries, and had 31 eggs puts me at a high risk (That's why ideal is 10-20 eggs. 31 is good for having gotten so many eggs, but it's not good for my health). Symptoms usually kick in 4-5 days post retrieval. From what I've read, it's sorta inevitable that I'll develop some level of OHSS and nothing I can do about it, I think the best I can hope for is that it's mild and doesn't interfere with life for the 1-2 weeks it sticks around.

No comments: